A healthy-spin on a green chicken enchilada casserole! Baked in the oven with layers of soft tortillas, melty cheese, lean shredded chicken, white beans, salsa verde, and hatch chiles. Perfect for weekly meal-prep!!
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (large burrito // wrap size)
- 1 15-oz can white beans
- 1 12-oz bag shredded cheese – Mexican Blend
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 24-oz jar salsa verde
- 2 4-oz cans of green hatch chiles (mild + diced)
- shredded Crockpot Salsa Chicken *
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- whole milk Greek Yogurt * * / sour cream
- guacamole (love the single serving containers for meal prep!)
- cholula hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- PREHEAT OVEN: To 375 degrees
- PREP CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS: Cut each tortilla in half, set aside. Open, drain, and rinse beans. Put into a small bowl and stir together with the 2 cans of hatch chiles. Set aside.
- LAYER CASSEROLE: For the first layer, place four tortilla halves into the bottom of a 9” x 13” casserole or baking dish, lining up one flat edge (the cut part) against each side of the dish (see pictures above). The rounded parts will overlap to cover the center. Add enough salsa verde to coat the tortillas (about a third of the large salsa jar). Use the back of a spoon to spread it around evenly. Then add half of the white bean + green chile mixture, followed by half of the chicken (about 2 chicken breasts worth). Make sure the ingredients are spread out evenly by just pushing them with your hands. Now sprinkle one third of the bag of cheese over top. · Repeat this layer once more for the second layer. · Then for the third layer – top with the remaining tortilla halves, and use only half of the remaining salsa in the jar to spread around the top of the tortillas. If you like crispier edges on your enchiladas, then leave an inch around the edge of the pan where you don’t put salsa on the tortillas. · Now add the remaining Mexican cheese blend + the extra cup of Monterey Jack Cheese (which isn’t necessary but if you’re all about having the gooiest topping situation possible, is HIGHLY recommended). Finish by sprinkling with dried oregano.
- BAKE: Bake for 25 minutes at 375. Then if you like a golden bubbly topping, crank your oven up to broil (high setting) for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to watch it during those last few minutes as oven temperatures can vary greatly + you don’t want it to burn! Take out and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. · Can store in the fridge in the casserole dish covered with foil for up to a week.
For a vegetarian casserole dish – use 3 more cans of beans instead of chicken.
* If using my recipe for Crockpot Salsa Chicken, then only use 4 chicken breasts. You won’t need more than that to fill out the casserole layers. You can also use leftover shredded rotisserie chicken for this if you prefer
* *Full-fat (not 0% / 2%) varieties of Greek Yogurt made with whole milk will mimic the thickness and taste of sour cream or crema much better than the low-fat varieties
- Serving Size: 1 serving