Healthy sheet pan recipe for Stuffed Acorn Squash! Filled with roasted vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, & tomato sauce (see recipe notes below for how to make this recipe vegan + dairy-free)
- 1 acorn squash
- 4 c broccoli florets
- 2 c shiitake mushrooms, chopped into ½” pieces
- 4 tbs avocado oil
- ½ tbs dried thyme
- ½ c tomato sauce*
- shredded cheese*
- red pepper flakes
- PREHEAT OVEN: to 375 F and prepare a baking sheet with foil (can also use bare sheet tray if preferred).
- CUT + SEED SQUASH: Cut the acorn squash down the middle (from the top stem to the pointy end). Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and set these aside (either discard them or roast them another time as a snack). Rub ½ tbs avocado oil onto just the cut-side of each half (don’t rub it onto the green skin) and place them cut side up on the sheet tray. Sprinkle with salt and the dried thyme and roast for 35 min.
- ADD VEGETABLES: Take out the sheet tray with the acorn squash. Then add the broccoli and mushrooms to it. Toss them in avocado oil and salt them before returning entire sheet tray to oven and roast for another 40 min (taking the tray out once halfway through to flip the veggies around). You want to roast the vegetables until browned on the ends and roast the squash until it has softened.
- STUFF THE SQUASH: Remove the tray from the oven and set your temperature to broil on high. Using a fork, lightly smash the squash flesh (leaving the skin intact) so it resembles mashed potato texture. Press the mixture to the sides to make room for the roasted veggies and sauce. Spoon half the tomato sauce into each squash half. Then add half the roasted veggies to each half. Top with a sprinkle of cheese (if using) and return to the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese has just melted on top. Remove and enjoy immediately. The skin is edible if you wish to eat it, but it also comes off quite easily if you don’t.
TO KEEP DISH VEGAN FRIENDLY: Omit the cheese or use a vegan-friendly cheese option
*I used arrabiatta sauce but you could use regular tomato basil if you don’t like things spicy. I also used Italian shredded cheese but a sprinkling of just Parmesan would also be great.
- Serving Size: 1