This Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe is so easy and so forgiving - you can swap out any number of ingredients to make yours work! Delicious, simple, and cheesy. You'll wanna pin this one for later!!
Today we're making a healthy-spin on a chicken enchilada bake - and it's going to give you major comfort food vibes! This chicken enchilada casserole makes a great high-protein meal option. With lots of fill-you-up fiber from the green chiles + white beans.
It’s the ultimate cozy, cheesy, warm, and inviting dish to come home to after a long day. Everything you love about enchiladas, without any of the rolling / stuffing / tucking required. With all the familiar flavors from white chicken chili layered between soft tortillas and melted cheese.
It’s a super forgiving recipe. This casserole gets that you’re tired, stressed out, not-in-the-mood, (insert other after-work emotion here). Check out the swaps section below for simple ways you can swap out these ingredients to make them work for what you've got on hand. Or work with your dietary needs!
Before you do, make sure you grab my Real Food Swaps guide! Download your copy here:
This is the kind of dish where you just layer things together, as messy as you please (think: lasagna), and it comes out tasting great anyway.
You layer tortillas + meat + beans + salsa + cheese and then repeat until you've filled up your baking pan. So simple, you'll find yourself making it on repeat without even needing this recipe.
The cheese will bind every ingredient together and the salsa will act like a sauce, melding all the separate flavors // textures into one cohesive dish. In spite of even my BEST efforts to totally screw it up, time and time again this recipe just soldiers on. And every time, defiantly comes out of that oven bubbling and delicious.
You’re bound to make whoever eats this pretty damn happy.
Easy Ingredient Swaps
This recipe is SO forgiving! And works with whatever you have in your pantry. You can really lean on some pantry or freezer staple items for this one and still be able to create something so delicious.
- use red salsa or enchilada sauce in place of green salsa
- use corn tortillas or gluten free tortillas for a gluten free option
- use thinly sliced zucchini or butternut squash for a grain-free option
- add some greens on the side with a storebought dressing + avocado for a delicious side salad
- give it a veggie boost by sauteeing any combination of veggies you have on hand (think carrots, celery, zucchini, frozen corn, frozen sweet potato, butternut squash, peas, onions, cauliflower rice, you name it! Just make sure to chop it small enough so the textures are right and cook any tough veggies beforehand
- add some wilted spinach or baby kale for a dose of sneaky greens
- use rotisserie chicken or chopped up grilled chicken if you don't want to make shredded chicken breast
- use sauteed ground turkey, beef, or crumbled chorizo sausage in place of chicken
- double down on the canned beans & skip the meat for a vegetarian friendly option
- put an egg on it! No srsly. Fry an egg and add it to the top for an easy vegetarian friendly protein option
Pin this recipe to make it for later!
Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- 6 whole wheat tortillas large burrito // wrap size
- 1 15- oz can white beans
- 1 12- oz bag shredded cheese - Mexican Blend
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 24- oz jar salsa verde
- 2 4- oz cans of green hatch chiles mild + diced
- shredded Crockpot Salsa Chicken *
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- whole milk Greek Yogurt * * / sour cream
- guacamole love the single serving containers for meal prep!
- cholula hot sauce
- fresh cilantro
- PREHEAT OVEN: To 375 degrees
- PREP CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS: Cut each tortilla in half, set aside. Open, drain, and rinse beans. Put into a small bowl and stir together with the 2 cans of hatch chiles. Set aside.
- LAYER CASSEROLE: For the first layer, place four tortilla halves into the bottom of a 9” x 13” casserole or baking dish, lining up one flat edge (the cut part) against each side of the dish (see pictures above). The rounded parts will overlap to cover the center. Add enough salsa verde to coat the tortillas (about a third of the large salsa jar). Use the back of a spoon to spread it around evenly. Then add half of the white bean + green chile mixture, followed by half of the chicken (about 2 chicken breasts worth). Make sure the ingredients are spread out evenly by just pushing them with your hands. Now sprinkle one third of the bag of cheese over top. · Repeat this layer once more for the second layer. · Then for the third layer – top with the remaining tortilla halves, and use only half of the remaining salsa in the jar to spread around the top of the tortillas. If you like crispier edges on your enchiladas, then leave an inch around the edge of the pan where you don’t put salsa on the tortillas. · Now add the remaining Mexican cheese blend + the extra cup of Monterey Jack Cheese (which isn’t necessary but if you’re all about having the gooiest topping situation possible, is HIGHLY recommended). Finish by sprinkling with dried oregano.
- BAKE: Bake for 25 minutes at 375. Then if you like a golden bubbly topping, crank your oven up to broil (high setting) for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to watch it during those last few minutes as oven temperatures can vary greatly + you don’t want it to burn! Take out and let cool for 10 minutes before serving. · Can store in the fridge in the casserole dish covered with foil for up to a week.