In this episode...
Simple-living and clutter-clearing expert, Jen Rao, joins me to share her journaling practice. Jen has been journaling for 13 years! Jen explains how her journaling practice of writing out her desires, practicing gratitude, and using positive affirmations has transformed her life. All while helping her know herself better and continue creating even more powerful change for the future.
She shares how this practice has helped her to stay out of the zone of chaos (more on these zones in the episode!) and live her most miraculous life. We discuss how journaling puts your innermost desires out into the world and how externalizing those feelings brings you closer to the future you want. Plus we talk about journaling for growing and learning from the past, without staying stuck in negative-focused thought patterns.
Jen shares her epic journaling tips, and the mindfulness practices behind them, so that you can implement them in your own life to deepen your connection to self and change your life for the better.
3 Main Takeaways...
- Your journaling doesn’t have to be perfect or positive – but some main things to include to give you some structure in journaling are: a gratitude list, positive affirmations, writing about how you want to feel, and adding in any creative outlets you enjoy, like doodles, drawings, etc.
- Dream and dream big! Use your journal to give yourself complete space, permission, and freedom to express what you want. Tune in to what you want internally and then get it one step closer to happening in reality. Then externalize your desires & physically commit them onto the page.
- Use your journal as a resource to reframe your present circumstances and grow from your past. Search for new ways to look at a situation with gratitude and be open to the opportunity to learn from challenging moments. Remind yourself that tough circumstances will not necessarily last forever. Be mindful of the lessons you’ve learned, recognize the ways you're growing, and acknowledge your personal progress.
Put inspiration into action...
- Start your journal! Grab a notebook, a journal, or get any piece of paper and write down at least 5 things you are grateful for. Then, write down the words: “I want to feel...” and fill in that sentence! Over time see if you're comfortable using affirmations & play around with writing from that future-you perspective where you already have what you desire. Where your life IS as you intend it to one day be.
- Deepen or revive your current journaling practice. Look back at your last few entries. Is there opportunity to include more gratitude? Do you see your dreams clearly reflected on the page? Are you giving yourself space to fully express what you want? Could you include more "I" statement affirmations?
Links and Resources...
Visit Jen's website: clearyourlife.ca
Follow Jen on Instagram: @clearyourlife