In this episode…
In this solo episode, I talk about why it’s important to set boundaries for yourself and with others.
Boundaries are personal and internally set. But they won’t work in the external world unless you know how to communicate them directly and clearly to the people they apply to. And feel empowered to maintain them from the inside-out.
I share how you can not only develop good boundary-setting skills, but how you can actually enforce them. I also outline some of the barriers and misconceptions that can prevent you from setting + enforcing your boundaries, and share ways you can shift your mindset to make them work better in your life.
At the end, I offer you some simple phrases and conversation starters that can help you easily enforce your boundaries with others. With tips for making your boundaries known – without having to apologize, share too much, or feel like you have to justify your worth.
- Boundaries are an act of self-love and love for others. Yes they protect us but they’re also an expression of how important the people you feel the need to set with them with are to you in your life. So don’t be afraid to feel worthy of them and to set and enforce them with yourself, with others, and in areas like social media and self-improvement. You are worthy of boundaries so give yourself that permission!
- Most of the challenges we experience around boundaries are with communicating and enforcing them. This can be done with a simple phrase or conversation, which I provide examples of in this episode, so don’t stress or overthink about it at the expense of setting and expressing your boundaries.
- They don’t have to be complicated, embrace the idea that it can be simple + straightforward. You don’t need to be apologetic about having boundaries, nor do you need to over-expose or over-explain yourself when communicating your boundaries.
Put Inspiration into Action…
- If you find yourself still feeling resistant around it – get curious about that resistance. Where is the resistance coming from? Is it self-worth related? Fear? Doubt? Confidence? Insecurity in a relationship? Trust? What would help you overcome this resistance? Seek out what you need to feel more confident or to heal any worthiness wounds.
- Journal & make use of affirmations to help you ground into this practice as an essential part of your personal growth journey. Remind yourself that you (just like everyone else in your life) deserve to have your boundaries honored & respected too. Example affirmations – I am worthy of strong boundaries. My boundaries are helping me grow into a stronger, kinder, more confident person. I honor my own boundaries as much as I honor the boundaries of others. I value relationships with people who value me and value my boundaries. I create boundaries for self-love and love for others. My boundaries strengthen my loving relationships.
- Pick a few of the phrases in this episode to put in your back pocket as ways to communicate your boundaries. Write them in your notes app on your phone or on a piece of paper and keep them handy. Then, of course, be bold & use them as needed!
Links & Resources…
Share your favorite takeaways with me on Instagram @freeyourfork
Personality type resources: