One of my favorite takeout-fakeout recipes – healthy Meal Prep Burrito Bowls! Loaded with lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains – these are sure to satisfy your fast-food cravings. Read on to see how to make these + get ideas for simple ingredient swaps!
Hi I’m Lauren – Holistic Health Coach behind Free Your Fork and I’m here to help you with healthy living without obsessing.
I help people make simple swaps for real food recipes, safer beauty, and a healthier home.
One of the BEST places to start is by looking at the foods you eat + the products you use every single day. Some of these choices might feel small, but shifting these daily habits can add up to some seriously significant change.
BE SURE TO GRAB THE FREE HEALTHY REAL FOOD SWAPS CHECKLIST BELOW + THEN READ ON FOR HOW TO MAKE THESE MEAL PREP BURRITO BOWLS!
Today we’re cooking up one of my favorite takeout-fakeout recipes – these healthy Meal Prep Burrito Bowls! Loaded with lean protein, healthy fats, and whole grains – these are sure to satisfy your fast-food cravings.
I’m a big believer that all food – healthy homemade meals included – should taste downright delicious. Because healthy eating doesn’t mean you have to deprive yourself of your favorite foods.
One of the things I coach my clients on is how to make healthier versions of their favorite takeout foods – using just a few simple ingredient swaps.
The solution to a burrito hangover (stomach ache, low energy, indigestion, breakouts, etc) isn’t NO burritos – it’s to get curious about what might be in that burrito that isn’t making you feel your best. And then making a version that has those same satisfying flavors with ingredients that do work well for your body.
If you’re wondering how to customize these bowls to fit your taste + dietary needs – I’ve got you covered in the swaps section below.
All of my recipes are super flexible and swap-friendly – so don’t be afraid to get creative and make this recipe work for you!
Swaps for Healthy Living Without Obsessing
- OIL SWAPS – This recipe uses anti-inflammatory avocado oil since it has a super neutral flavor and is a great swap for canola oil – but if you don’t have that on hand you can also use coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, grass-fed butter, or ghee.
- MEAT OPTIONS – If you don’t have ground turkey you can use ground chicken or ground beef instead.
- VEGETARIAN OPTIONS – If you need a meatless version – my vegetarian friends have said good things about using crumbled tofu, but you could also just add the black beans to a hot pan and spice those like you would meat.
- BEANS – Feel free to swap pinto beans for black beans – both work great here.
- RICE + GRAIN-FREE SWAPS- I love these bowls with brown rice – for the extra fiber and extra nutrients – but you could use white rice instead if that’s your favorite. Quinoa or cauliflower rice would also be great subs.
Remember – the toppings listed in the recipe card are meant to stir up fun ideas for your bowls, but you don’t have to include them all. If you ever feel overwhelmed or can’t find what your looking for – keeping it simple can be delicious too! Pick a few toppings that you absolutely love and don’t worry about the rest.
On busy nights I’ll usually just add a bit of yogurt (something creamy) + some greens (something fresh) + a dash of hot sauce (something spicy).
Pin this recipe to save these ideas for later!
RECOMMENDED TOOLS FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE:
- Glasslock Food Storage Containers (the ones I used in this post were a bargain buy from years back, but these ones are a similar BPA free option)
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LOVE:Print
Healthy Meal Prep Burrito Bowls! This recipe is loaded with lean protein from black beans and ground turkey, healthy fats, and whole grains. This flavor-packed recipe will satisfy your fast-food cravings and keep you stocked with fresh meals for 4 days!!
- 3 ½ c water
- 2 c short grain brown rice, uncooked
- 1 ½ lbs ground turkey
- ½ tbs avocado oil*
- ½ lemon
- salt (to taste)
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1 tsp dried onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 c frozen grilled corn
- 1 lime
- 1 c cilantro
- 1 c salsa fresca
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- cotija cheese
- fresh greens
- MAKE THE RICE: In a medium-sized pot, bring water and rice to a boil. Turn down to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork.
- COOK THE MEAT: While the rice cooks, preheat a large pan over medium to medium-high heat. Then add avocado oil and meat to the pan, stir often and use a spatula to break it up into smaller bite-sized pieces. Season with spice mixture and the juice of ½ a lemon. Add salt to taste. Will cook quickly, in about 5-7 minutes.
- PREP THE CORN: Microwave the frozen corn for 2 minutes, or until just thawed through.
- ASSEMBLE THE BOWLS: Divide rice, beans, meat, and corn between four containers. Add a lime wedge and cilantro to each one. If eating right away, add choice of fresh toppings. If saving some portions for later, pack the chosen fresh toppings separately so that you can heat up all the hot ingredients at one time and add the cold ingredients later.
*or other cooking oil of choice
- Serving Size: 1 serving